Please Note: For standard network installations of MATLAB, you do not need to do anything to update your license. The University Technology Office (UTO) will update the campus MATLAB license annually in September, which will automatically renew all network installations.
To renew your MATLAB license prior to September annual renewal, please follow the steps below:
- Launch MATLAB.
- From the Help menu, select Licensing and Update Current License.
- Select the license that appears in the list, and click Update.
- A window asking you if you are sure will appear. Click Yes.
- You will be prompted to log in using your ASURITE ID and password and bind it to your Mathworks account.
- Your license has been updated.
- Restart MATLAB for the changes to take effect. Upon re-launching MATLAB, the license expiration notice should no longer appear.
Error After Renewing
If you get a message after updating your Matlab license, the old license file is still on your system. Please follow the directions on this page to replace the license file manually to remove the error message: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/99147
If you're unable to renew after September, follow the steps below:
Windows Operating System
Mac, Linux or Unix Operating System
- Go to the Start menu to the All Programs list. Select MATLAB, the MATLAB release, and then select the Activate MATLAB link.
NOTE: ASU recommends starting MATLAB in administrator mode, by right clicking on the program shortcut and select Run as Administrator.
- Run the activate_matlab.sh script found in your $MATLAB/bin folder.
Once you have started the activation process, follow these steps:
Related Article: How Do I Download and Access MATLAB?Need additional help?
- Select Activate automatically using the Internet, and click Next.
- Log in with your ASURITE account and you will be then prompted to log in with MathWorks account then click Next.
- Select Individual license from the list that appears, and click Next.
- Submit your activation by clicking Activate.
- When activation is complete, click Finish to start MATLAB. You will need to restart MATLAB once finished for changes to take effect.
Access 24/7 live chat, create a case from your My ASU Service Center
or call 855-278-5080.