How do I Access my ASU Gmail Account Using Office 365 and Outlook 2016?
Note: This KB Article is for ASU Students with ASU Gmail Account service
using Outlook 365 ProPlus from their ASU Microsoft Installation Software Suite.
Before you begin:
Note: The password you set at the above website is independent of your normal ASURITE password. If you change your ASURITE password in the future, your Gmail email for ASU POP/Chat password will not be changed. However, you may always go to the above website to change your Gmail for ASU POP/Chat password.
After you have successfully enabled IMAP on your Gmail email account you can set up your Gmail for ASU POP/Chat password.
To access your Gmail account using Outlook 2016, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Control Panel. Locate and select the Mail Icon.
- To view Control Panel as shown below you will need to have Small Icons selected for the View by setting.
- If your Control Panel looks different than the picture below, please switch to Small Icons or Large Icons by
clicking on the button labeled View by: change it to Small Icons or Large Icons.
- Select the Show Profiles... button.
- Select the radio button for Prompt for a profile to be used (Optional - If you have multiple profiles Gmail,
Live, Outlook, Yahoo, etc...), then select the Add button.
- Enter the name you would like this profile to be called and select the OK button when done.
- Click Connect to a differnt account if you encounter "Connect Outlook to Office 365" dialog box.
- Select the radio button for Manual setup or additional server types and select the Next button.
- Select the radio button for Pop or IMAP and then select the Next button.
Enter the following information on the POP and IMAP Account Settings screen.
- Enter your name into the Your Name field.
- Enter your ASU e-mail address into the E-mail Address field (this is usually ASURITEID@asu.edu).
- Select IMAP for the Account Type.
- Enter imap.gmail.com into the Incoming Mail Server field.
- Enter smtp.gmail.com into the Outgoing Mail Server field.
- Enter ASURITEID@asu.edu into the User Name field Enter your Gmail. For example, if your ASURITEID is rsmith then you would enter email@example.com into the User Name field.
- In the Password field enter your Gmail for ASU POP/Chat password that you were previously instructed to set up at https://weblogin.asu.edu/google-chpwd.
Note: The password you set at the above website is independent of your normal ASURITE password. If you change your ASURITE password in the future, your Gmail for ASU POP/Chat password will not be changed. However, you may always go to the above website to change your Gmail for ASU POP/Chat password.
- Select the Outgoing Server tab and use the settings in the red box below.
- Select the Advanced tab and use the settings in the red box below.
- NOTE: If you have options for TLS only in Outgoing server (SMTP) encrypted connections,
use that option, if not use STARTTLS.
- When done with step 9 and 10, select the OK button to continue.
- Select the Next button, Outlook will try to test out the settings from 8 - 10.
- If all goes well status should read Completed for "Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP)"
and "Send test email message." Select the Close button to continue.
- NOTE: an error occurs, please verify settings in Step 10 are correct.
- You should be all set...uncheck Set up Outlook Mobile on my phone, then select Finish.
- Screen should be back at Step 3, select Okay to exit and close the Control Panel Window.
- Open Outlook and Select Profile Name created in Step 4.
You can now securely send and receive mail using Outlook.
Need additional help? Access 24/7 live chat, create a case from your My ASU Service Center or call 855-278-5080.